-   -   Shared Workbook?Worksheet (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/232262-shared-workbook-worksheet.html)

John

Shared Workbook?Worksheet

Is Excel capable of handling a Shared Worksheet used by multiple users that
is in a constantly updated throughout the day?

The worksheet is used for a job log and is updated up to 8 times an hour by
5 people constantly through out the day.

When we first started using it everything was fine, now two months later it
takes about 20min for it to load on to everyones computer from the server in
the morning, then takes about 5 min or more for any updates to be saved if it
does not lock up and we all have to close down and reboot.

Any suggestions to speed up the process or maybe another software package? I
was thinking Access but not sure how to set it up.

Sean Timmons

Shared Workbook?Worksheet

I find it's typically necessary to unshare the workbook on a weekly basis,
then re-share. Typically decreases the file size immensly and allows for
quicker use.

Make sure you delete any extraneous rows/columns and hit save whil unshared
to minimize file size.

If that doesn't make it fast enough, then Access will be your next step.
Use Data Import External Data New Database Query to drop Access Queries
into Excel if desired.

"John" wrote:

Is Excel capable of handling a Shared Worksheet used by multiple users that
is in a constantly updated throughout the day?

The worksheet is used for a job log and is updated up to 8 times an hour by
5 people constantly through out the day.

When we first started using it everything was fine, now two months later it
takes about 20min for it to load on to everyones computer from the server in
the morning, then takes about 5 min or more for any updates to be saved if it
does not lock up and we all have to close down and reboot.

Any suggestions to speed up the process or maybe another software package? I
was thinking Access but not sure how to set it up.

John

Shared Workbook?Worksheet

I will give the unsharing and re-sharing, removing who and what we don't need
anymore a try.

thanks for the suggestion Sean