-   -   why does the formula show instead of the result when copying? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/232125-why-does-formula-show-instead-result-when-copying.html)

rws

why does the formula show instead of the result when copying?

I have been using a conditional if statement to copy information from current
workbook to a new workbook. Sometimes not the information but the formula
shows up and i can't get rid of it.
--
bob

joeu2004

"rws" wrote:
I have been using a conditional if statement to copy information from
current
workbook to a new workbook. Sometimes not the information but the formula
shows up and i can't get rid of it.

If all cells show formulas, look at the Formulas Windows option under Tools
Options View (Excel 2003). Be sure that it is not checkmarked.

More like, the individual cell was formatted as text before you entered the
formula. Change the cell format to General or another appropriate format by
clicking on Format Cells Number. Then press F2 and Enter (or
ctrl-shift-Enter for an array formula) in order to re-enter the formula.