-   -   conditional formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/232084-conditional-formula.html)

jcheko

conditional formula

I am setting a spreadsheet about drainage pipe but need to insert a
condition. I need to add a distance: "that is 1/4 of the diameter of the pipe
or 4 inches minimum"...thanks for your help

Bernard Liengme[_3_]

conditional formula

You gave us few details to work with but....
Let A1 have the diameter of the pipe
In B1 I have the formula =MAX(A1/4,4)
When A1 has value 12, B1 displays 4 (the specified minimum); but when A1 has
value 24 then B1 displays 6 (1/4 of 24)
Note that we specify a min but need to use the max function! We want the
larger of A1/4 and 4

I could have used a complicated IF as in =IF(A1/4 4, A1/4, 4) which says
if a quarter of A1 is greater than 4 then give me A1/4 else give me 4.
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"jcheko" wrote in message
I am setting a spreadsheet about drainage pipe but need to insert a
condition. I need to add a distance: "that is 1/4 of the diameter of the
pipe
or 4 inches minimum"...thanks for your help

jcheko

conditional formula

thanks a lot....that was very helpful.