Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Insert Illustrations disabled (grayed out) in Excel 2007

I'm just trying to insert a line but all the Insert Illustrations selections
are all grayed out.
I've check to ensure the worksheets are not Grouped or protected as
suggested elsewhere and they are not.
Any other ideas would be welcome!
Thanks, Don.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you sure you are not in Edit mode? Press ESC and try.

Is it happening on all workbooks? Open a new one and see.

Make sure no dialog boxes are open... Is VB Editor open?

"Ultimate Don" wrote:

I'm just trying to insert a line but all the Insert Illustrations selections
are all grayed out.
I've check to ensure the worksheets are not Grouped or protected as
suggested elsewhere and they are not.
Any other ideas would be welcome!
Thanks, Don.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
the line styles are selected AFTER you have drawn the line.
drop a line on the sheet and your line styles will be available.

Regards
FSt1

"Ultimate Don" wrote:

I'm just trying to insert a line but all the Insert Illustrations selections
are all grayed out.
I've check to ensure the worksheets are not Grouped or protected as
suggested elsewhere and they are not.
Any other ideas would be welcome!
Thanks, Don.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your comments.
Not in edit mode. Nothing else open I can close Excel and then reopen and
problem persists. Not sharing workbook either.
It happens on all worksheets new and old only within this workbook. Other
workbooks are fine. I could copy over the 16 sheets but didn't want to go
through the effort as I'm sure it will happen again at some point down the
road.
Another weird item related to this workbook only (I don't see how the two
could be related but will mention it) is that if I try to insert a row it
says it cannot shift objects off sheet. I F5 goto objects and there are none,
I goto last cell and it goes to cell M350 so there is plenty of room left!
Charts are also grayed out.

"Ultimate Don" wrote:

I'm just trying to insert a line but all the Insert Illustrations selections
are all grayed out.
I've check to ensure the worksheets are not Grouped or protected as
suggested elsewhere and they are not.
Any other ideas would be welcome!
Thanks, Don.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your interest and time.
Unfortunately, the point is I can't drop a line on any sheet in this
workbook. Other workbooks no problem. Something unique about this workbook
(new sheets within workbook have same problem). No Charts (grayed out) as
well.

"Ultimate Don" wrote:

I'm just trying to insert a line but all the Insert Illustrations selections
are all grayed out.
I've check to ensure the worksheets are not Grouped or protected as
suggested elsewhere and they are not.
Any other ideas would be welcome!
Thanks, Don.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try to select all rows after 350 and delete
Similarly delete all columns after M...

It may solve the problem.

Can you share the workbook so that I can check on my PC?

"Ultimate Don" wrote:

I'm just trying to insert a line but all the Insert Illustrations selections
are all grayed out.
I've check to ensure the worksheets are not Grouped or protected as
suggested elsewhere and they are not.
Any other ideas would be welcome!
Thanks, Don.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Check the setting for View objects.

Office Button Excel Options Advanced Display Options for this workbook
For objects, show: All

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Ultimate Don" <Ultimate wrote in message
I'm just trying to insert a line but all the Insert Illustrations
selections
are all grayed out.
I've check to ensure the worksheets are not Grouped or protected as
suggested elsewhere and they are not.
Any other ideas would be welcome!
Thanks, Don.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Andy,
Wow, that did it! I don't really see the connection but it solved both
problems, the insertion of rows/cols and being able to do chart/graphics and
insert graphics. I'm not sure why I'd change that setting but now I may use
this just to mess with people.
Thanks for your support.

"Andy Pope" wrote:

Hi,

Check the setting for View objects.

Office Button Excel Options Advanced Display Options for this workbook
For objects, show: All

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Ultimate Don" <Ultimate wrote in message
I'm just trying to insert a line but all the Insert Illustrations
selections
are all grayed out.
I've check to ensure the worksheets are not Grouped or protected as
suggested elsewhere and they are not.
Any other ideas would be welcome!
Thanks, Don.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sheeloo,
Andy Pope (below) solved my problem, it was the old hide objects setting (I
didn't even realize there was such a thing).
Thanks again for your time.
v/r, Don

"Ultimate Don" wrote:

I'm just trying to insert a line but all the Insert Illustrations selections
are all grayed out.
I've check to ensure the worksheets are not Grouped or protected as
suggested elsewhere and they are not.
Any other ideas would be welcome!
Thanks, Don.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
lf lf is offline

Andy Pope,

The Setting for view objects was totally unknown to me and I was about to
start to re working on almost 80 sheets because of that and your answer to
this post just saved me doing that !

It was a nightmare for me and you just saved me from going through all that
trouble. This setting is very essential and would help alot of people like
myself, who like ultimate don had no clue it existed and how it got changed.

Thank you very much (both Andy and Ultimate don for raising the question in
the first place!)

Cheers
LF

"Andy Pope" wrote:

Hi,

Check the setting for View objects.

Office Button Excel Options Advanced Display Options for this workbook
For objects, show: All

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Ultimate Don" <Ultimate wrote in message
I'm just trying to insert a line but all the Insert Illustrations
selections
are all grayed out.
I've check to ensure the worksheets are not Grouped or protected as
suggested elsewhere and they are not.
Any other ideas would be welcome!
Thanks, Don.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Same here -- found this (in 2017 LOL) ... was having exactly the same issues with inserting rows and had an image disappear... I did not change this setting or if I did, it was in my sleep... gremlins...

Thank you Andy, I was going nuts trying to paste an image