-   -   What to use? Chart, PIvot Chart, or something else? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/231397-what-use-chart-pivot-chart-something-else.html)

Jessie P

What to use? Chart, PIvot Chart, or something else?

I am trying to Make a VERY LARGE (72x36) Chart in excel 2007. I have the
layout that i want but i am trying to make it easier to change data. without
doing every single chart. I want to fill in colored cells (kinds like a bar
chart) to cordnate with how many hours it is going to take to do. I have no
idea if there is a way to not use a chart yet have the cells to do this or if
I need to use a bar chart. I am so confused. Please help

smartin

Jessie P wrote:
I am trying to Make a VERY LARGE (72x36) Chart in excel 2007. I have the
layout that i want but i am trying to make it easier to change data. without
doing every single chart. I want to fill in colored cells (kinds like a bar
chart) to cordnate with how many hours it is going to take to do. I have no
idea if there is a way to not use a chart yet have the cells to do this or if
I need to use a bar chart. I am so confused. Please help

Start with the basics. Keep your source data and chart data separate.
Use input fields and formulas to drive the chart data.

Jon Peltier has good tips on his site. This might be a good place to start:
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/prepare-your-data/