-   -   VBA Wildcard Code (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/230953-vba-wildcard-code.html)

tony

VBA Wildcard Code

I have the following could that checks a column in a master file to select
records that have the following c* (i.e. c01, c02, etc..). However due to
some error in the way I am writing the code, I cannot get it to produce
records.

If wsMaster.Range("ag" & iRow + 0) = "c* " Then

How do I code it the slect any records that start with "C" and then use the
wildcard character "*"?

Gary''s Student

VBA Wildcard Code

If Left(wsMaster.Range("ag" & iRow + 0),1) = "c" Then
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200853

"Tony" wrote:

I have the following could that checks a column in a master file to select
records that have the following c* (i.e. c01, c02, etc..). However due to
some error in the way I am writing the code, I cannot get it to produce
records.

If wsMaster.Range("ag" & iRow + 0) = "c* " Then

How do I code it the slect any records that start with "C" and then use the
wildcard character "*"?

Mike H

VBA Wildcard Code

Try instr

If InStr(Sheets(wsMaster).Range("ag" & irow + 0), "c") = 1 Then

Mike

"Tony" wrote:

I have the following could that checks a column in a master file to select
records that have the following c* (i.e. c01, c02, etc..). However due to
some error in the way I am writing the code, I cannot get it to produce
records.

If wsMaster.Range("ag" & iRow + 0) = "c* " Then

How do I code it the slect any records that start with "C" and then use the
wildcard character "*"?

Mike H

VBA Wildcard Code

I just noticed you may want it to ignore case

If InStr(1, Sheets(wsMaster).Range("ag" & irow + 0), "c", 1) = 1 Then

Mike

"Tony" wrote:

I have the following could that checks a column in a master file to select
records that have the following c* (i.e. c01, c02, etc..). However due to
some error in the way I am writing the code, I cannot get it to produce
records.

If wsMaster.Range("ag" & iRow + 0) = "c* " Then

How do I code it the slect any records that start with "C" and then use the
wildcard character "*"?

tony

VBA Wildcard Code

Gary, even though I checked the running of the code and verified that the
cell contents does contain a Cxx value after reading each record, it bypasses
the record
and moves on the to the next record with the final outcome being no records
written.

Any suggestions?

Tony

"Tony" wrote:

I have the following could that checks a column in a master file to select
records that have the following c* (i.e. c01, c02, etc..). However due to
some error in the way I am writing the code, I cannot get it to produce
records.

If wsMaster.Range("ag" & iRow + 0) = "c* " Then

How do I code it the slect any records that start with "C" and then use the
wildcard character "*"?

tony

VBA Wildcard Code

Mike, when I use your code, I get a Run-time error '13' - Type mismatch error.

"Tony" wrote:

I have the following could that checks a column in a master file to select
records that have the following c* (i.e. c01, c02, etc..). However due to
some error in the way I am writing the code, I cannot get it to produce
records.

If wsMaster.Range("ag" & iRow + 0) = "c* " Then

How do I code it the slect any records that start with "C" and then use the
wildcard character "*"?

Dave Peterson

VBA Wildcard Code

One more using a wildcard:

if lcase(wsmaster.range("ag" & irow).value) like lcase("c*") then

Tony wrote:

I have the following could that checks a column in a master file to select
records that have the following c* (i.e. c01, c02, etc..). However due to
some error in the way I am writing the code, I cannot get it to produce
records.

If wsMaster.Range("ag" & iRow + 0) = "c* " Then

How do I code it the slect any records that start with "C" and then use the
wildcard character "*"?

--

Dave Peterson

Gary''s Student

VBA Wildcard Code

Try both "c" and "C"
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200853

"Tony" wrote:

I have the following could that checks a column in a master file to select
records that have the following c* (i.e. c01, c02, etc..). However due to
some error in the way I am writing the code, I cannot get it to produce
records.

If wsMaster.Range("ag" & iRow + 0) = "c* " Then

How do I code it the slect any records that start with "C" and then use the
wildcard character "*"?

tony

VBA Wildcard Code

Thanks again Dave, that did the trick.