Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Insert to today's date

I have a dashboard type of display on worksheet #1 (Dashboard) where an
individual updates a cell B3 through out the day, everyday, with a new value.
On another worksheet (Draw) in column A, I have each date listed from
05/01/09 on down. I would like the updated information in B3 on worksheet
'Dashboard' to locate Today's date on worksheet 'Draw' and insert the updated
value next to it in Column B. I tried to use a basic If statement such as:
=IF(A2=TODAY(),Dashboard!$B$3,"")
in column B on 'Draw' but do not know how to keep it from removing
yesterday's value.

Also, after midnight, I would like B3 on 'Dashboard' to return to 0 for a
new day.

Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can not do this with formulas...

You need to use a macro (using VBA code)

Looks like the value in B3 is written many times during a day... Do you want
to keep updating this in Col B in 'Draw' against TODAY's date?

"SPISO" wrote:

I have a dashboard type of display on worksheet #1 (Dashboard) where an
individual updates a cell B3 through out the day, everyday, with a new value.
On another worksheet (Draw) in column A, I have each date listed from
05/01/09 on down. I would like the updated information in B3 on worksheet
'Dashboard' to locate Today's date on worksheet 'Draw' and insert the updated
value next to it in Column B. I tried to use a basic If statement such as:
=IF(A2=TODAY(),Dashboard!$B$3,"")
in column B on 'Draw' but do not know how to keep it from removing
yesterday's value.

Also, after midnight, I would like B3 on 'Dashboard' to return to 0 for a
new day.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Right-click on the Dashboard sheet tab at the bottom... and choose 'Code'
Paste the macro below (from start to end lines) in the VB Editor window on
the right when it opens up

'start macro
If Target.Address = "$B$3" Then
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Sheets("Draw").Select
Sheets("Draw").Columns("A:A").Select
Selection.Find(What:=Date, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:= _
xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:= _
False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).FormulaR1C1 = Sheets("Dashboard").Cells(3, 2)
Sheets("Dashboard").Select
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
'end macro

close the VB Editor
Now whatever you type in B3 will be copied to the draw sheet agains today's
date.

"SPISO" wrote:

I have a dashboard type of display on worksheet #1 (Dashboard) where an
individual updates a cell B3 through out the day, everyday, with a new value.
On another worksheet (Draw) in column A, I have each date listed from
05/01/09 on down. I would like the updated information in B3 on worksheet
'Dashboard' to locate Today's date on worksheet 'Draw' and insert the updated
value next to it in Column B. I tried to use a basic If statement such as:
=IF(A2=TODAY(),Dashboard!$B$3,"")
in column B on 'Draw' but do not know how to keep it from removing
yesterday's value.

Also, after midnight, I would like B3 on 'Dashboard' to return to 0 for a
new day.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perfect. Thanks so much for your help. If I wanted to do that exact same
thing on the same worksheet (Dashboard) but in a different cell (C37), and
copy C37 to a 'Notes' worksheet against date, what would I have to change?
This is so cool. WOW!

Thanks again.

"SPISO" wrote:

I have a dashboard type of display on worksheet #1 (Dashboard) where an
individual updates a cell B3 through out the day, everyday, with a new value.
On another worksheet (Draw) in column A, I have each date listed from
05/01/09 on down. I would like the updated information in B3 on worksheet
'Dashboard' to locate Today's date on worksheet 'Draw' and insert the updated
value next to it in Column B. I tried to use a basic If statement such as:
=IF(A2=TODAY(),Dashboard!$B$3,"")
in column B on 'Draw' but do not know how to keep it from removing
yesterday's value.

Also, after midnight, I would like B3 on 'Dashboard' to return to 0 for a
new day.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, it does not.
If you want both to work then copy all the lines from IF to END IF
(including both), copy just after the END IF line and make the required
changes shown below;

'start macro
If Target.Address = "$B$3" Then

-- change $B$3 to $C$37
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Sheets("Draw").Select

-- Change Draw to Notes
Sheets("Draw").Columns("A:A").Select

-- Change Draw to Notes
Selection.Find(What:=Date, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:= _
xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:= _
False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).FormulaR1C1 = Sheets("Dashboard").Cells(3, 2)

-- change Cells(3,2) to Cells(37,3)