-   -   Alphabetizing Data in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/23036-alphabetizing-data-excel.html)

PAR

Alphabetizing Data in Excel

I don't know if anyone in this forum knows the procedure (if there even is
one), but I was hoping that someone may be able to inform me how I can edit
data in Microsoft Excel such that the information in the first column can be
rearranged in alphabetical order. As I say, I have no idea if there is even
a function that will perform this, but it would be a great help if someone
out there may know it. Thank you.

Carole O

PAR -

Highlight the whole spreadsheet (very important!!!). Do this by clicking in
the cell above 1 and to the left of A. The spreadsheet will have a dark
color to it. Then go to Data, Sort on the top toolbar. If you have a Header
Row (i.e. Name, Address, City), click on the lower portion of the Sort box
that says Header row. Then go to the Sort by and choose the column name you
want to sort. If no header row, then Sort by Column A.

Caution - If you only highlight column A, it will sort, but Columns B, C
..... will stay put. You DON''T want this to happen. Thank heaven for Undo!!

Carole O

"PAR" wrote:

I don't know if anyone in this forum knows the procedure (if there even is
one), but I was hoping that someone may be able to inform me how I can edit
data in Microsoft Excel such that the information in the first column can be
rearranged in alphabetical order. As I say, I have no idea if there is even
a function that will perform this, but it would be a great help if someone
out there may know it. Thank you.

RdB

PAR wrote:
I don't know if anyone in this forum knows the procedure (if there even is
one), but I was hoping that someone may be able to inform me how I can edit
data in Microsoft Excel such that the information in the first column can be
rearranged in alphabetical order. As I say, I have no idea if there is even
a function that will perform this, but it would be a great help if someone
out there may know it. Thank you.

Highlight what you want to alphabetize and than
use 'Data' - 'Sort'