-   -   Sorting Numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/23032-sorting-numbers.html)

bcboy4ca

Sorting Numbers

Hi everyone. I use excel to sort part numbers for the company I work for and
I have been doing it manually through cut and paste. I am hoping someone on
here can help me find an easier way. The problem I have is the part numbers
are 2, 3, 4, 5 digits long and we like to keep all the 2 digit numbers
together, 3 digit numbers together etc. When I use the sort feature it mixes
them all up is there any way to sort them so they come out the way I want
them. I hope I made this clear enough, thanks for any help.

Duke Carey

Add an extra column to the left of your part numbers - and assuming your part
numbers are then in column B, use this formula to create a new list on which
to sort

=TEXT(B2,"00000")

Now your 2 digit part numbers will look like "000012" and if you sort on
this column, all the numbers will stay together the way you want