-   -   How do I stop excel replacing numerical values with the date? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/2303-how-do-i-stop-excel-replacing-numerical-values-date.html)

Becca C

How do I stop excel replacing numerical values with the date?

I have switched off the auto correct function on Excel, but it still replaces
numbers with any given date!! How do I solve this problem?

Frank Kabel

Hi
format the cells as 'General' or as 'Number'

"Becca C" wrote:

I have switched off the auto correct function on Excel, but it still replaces
numbers with any given date!! How do I solve this problem?

JE McGimpsey

If plain numbers are being displayed as dates, change the format to
General (Cells/Format/Number).

XL's parser will, independently of autocorrect, always interpret a
string like x/y or x-y as a date if it can. To enter such strings
without being parsed, format the cell as Text before entering the
string, or precede the string with an apostrophe, e.g.:

'11-2