-   -   Numbering a Table that does not match page number (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/230157-numbering-table-does-not-match-page-number.html)

TwoNotes

Numbering a Table that does not match page number

Hello,

I have a series of tables. Each table starts on either a new page or spans
two pages. I would like to insert a number ie. a table number, that will not
necessarily match the page that it is on. What command can I use to insert
a number in multiple tables that will update and re-number automatically if I
insert another table in between.

For example, if I have table 1, 2, and 3. I place this numbering placeholder
in tables 1, 2, and 3. When I decide to insert a new table between 1 and 2, 1
remains the same, 2 is the new inserted table, 3 is the old table 2, and 4 is
the old table 3. The numbers change automatically without me having to go
back and re-number them.

Thank you for your help