-   -   manual line breaks (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/23006-manual-line-breaks.html)

cwee

manual line breaks

I would like to insert manual line breaks into long text strings in cells. I
know how to use Alt-enter to make the line breaks and it works great when
viewing in Excel. However, I want to then cut and paste those cells into a
text editor (like notepad or Word). When I do that, my nice formatting goes
away and the cell contents is just one long string again.

Is there any way to maintain my line breaks when I cut and paste OUT of Excel?

Jason Morin

Try WordPad - it worked for me.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

"cwee" wrote:

I would like to insert manual line breaks into long text strings in cells. I
know how to use Alt-enter to make the line breaks and it works great when
viewing in Excel. However, I want to then cut and paste those cells into a
text editor (like notepad or Word). When I do that, my nice formatting goes
away and the cell contents is just one long string again.

Is there any way to maintain my line breaks when I cut and paste OUT of Excel?

Jim Rech

That's funny because I find just the opposite; the breaks (alt-enters) are
maintained both in Word and a text editor.

--
Jim