-   -   counting groups of blank cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/229596-counting-groups-blank-cells.html)

mpenkala

counting groups of blank cells

Hey,

Need some help with a simple problem. I currently have 3 columns. In
column A, there is numbers ranging from 0 to 10.

Depending on the number, I will either get a "x" in Column B or Column C.

What I'm trying to do in Column D count the string of blank cells in Column
C.
So...

A B C D
1 x
7 x
5 x 2
3 x
3 x
2 x
8 x
0 x
9 x
5 x 4

Any help would be great :)

Thanks,
Matt

T. Valko

counting groups of blank cells

Try this...

Assuming the data starts on row 1.

Entered in **D2**:

=IF(AND(C2="x",C1=""),COUNTBLANK(C$1:C1)-SUM(D$1:D1),"")

Copy down as needed.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

[...]

[...]