-   -   Problem with time formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/229583-problem-time-formula.html)

Gary

Problem with time formula

I am building a spreadsheet that show a start time and a finish time. I then
want it to calculate how much over the allotted time was used if any. I use
the formula (a2-a1)-30. 30 minutes are the allotted minutes so it looks right
that this formula would give me the correct amount of minutes over. I get the
###### error message on this and I can't find a way to get it to give me the
correct time. If I take the -30 out of the equation it will give me the
total time. I can I get the total time minus the 30 minutes?

joeu2004

Problem with time formula

"Gary" wrote:
I use the formula (a2-a1)-30

Use:

(a2-a1) - 30/24

assuming that A2 and A1 are entered in the form hh:mm or hh:mm:ss. In those
cases, time in hours is stored as a fraction of a day.

I am building a spreadsheet that show a start time and a finish time. I
then
want it to calculate how much over the allotted time was used if any. I
use
the formula (a2-a1)-30. 30 minutes are the allotted minutes so it looks
right
that this formula would give me the correct amount of minutes over. I get
the
###### error message on this and I can't find a way to get it to give me
the
correct time. If I take the -30 out of the equation it will give me the
total time. I can I get the total time minus the 30 minutes?

Dennis Tucker

Problem with time formula

This should work....

Format columns A,B,C,D for Time(13:40 format or whatever)
in A1 put "0:30"
in B1 put starttime("0:00" format)
in C1 put stoptime("0:00" format)
in D1 put "=C1-B1-A1"