-   -   data turned in date format when copied (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/229358-data-turned-date-format-when-copied.html)

C02C04

data turned in date format when copied

I am using excel 2007 and encountered an interesting situation. I copied a
numeric data and paste into another cell within the same worksheet. It
appeared in date format (dd/mm/yyyy). I have to re-format the cell for it to
correctly reflect the right number. The original cell is in numeric format.

Any idea why this is so? Any resolution?

JLatham

data turned in date format when copied

The destination cell is formatted as a date? (try choosing the entire column
[or row] and formatting it as General or Number)

Excel 2007 is once again trying to be too helpful?

What does your original cell's contents look like; i.e., what are some
sample numbers you've had this result with?

"C02C04" wrote:

I am using excel 2007 and encountered an interesting situation. I copied a
numeric data and paste into another cell within the same worksheet. It
appeared in date format (dd/mm/yyyy). I have to re-format the cell for it to
correctly reflect the right number. The original cell is in numeric format.

Any idea why this is so? Any resolution?

C02C04

data turned in date format when copied

Yes, destination is formatted as date as soon as the numeric data is copied.
It happened to new cell/column/row. It's quite annoying to format the
cell/column/row. An additional step to do.Prior version never had such
instances.

You reckon Excel 2007 is trying to be smart? ;-)