-   -   Validation with formulas (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/229056-validation-formulas.html)

MarsBars

Validation with formulas

I use to think I knowe a lot about Excel - but as people ask "can you do
this?" I dont know as much as I though

In the valiation source - can a formula be entered

i.e.

=($E4="Books","NA",=INDIRECT($E4))

Becky

Sheeloo

Validation with formulas

Did you try it out?

Answer is "Yes". However formula should evaluate to a result which can be
used as a List.
EXample:
=IF(D1=0,List1,List2)

You can also use
=IF($E4="Books",$E$5,INDIRECT(A1))

With A1 containing name of a list and E5 equal to NA.

I use =INDIRECT(A1) a lot for dependent lists...