-   -   Automatically enter cell text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/228995-automatically-enter-cell-text.html)

hcc

Automatically enter cell text

Hi Please help! I have a long list which i have named in one worksheet. In
another sheet i refer to that list by applying data validation, so if you
click the cell it brings a dropdown arrow and you can select a name from the
list. My question is i want it to automatically enter the code for that name
when selecting it from the dropdown in the next cell. Please help!

Jacob Skaria

Automatically enter cell text

Suppose you have the range in A1:B10 with names in Col A and Code in Col B

Col B is the drop down and you have a valid value in B1.Enter the below
formula in C1

=VLOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$B$10,2)
--
If this post helps click Yes