-   -   sumproduct text and numbers same column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/228438-sumproduct-text-numbers-same-column.html)

Babylynn

sumproduct text and numbers same column

Is it possible to use the sumproduct function in excel 2007, to count alpha
characters, and sum numbers in the same column. For example:

Column A

10
10
10

result would be a cell that gives 30
another cell that gives the result (P) 3

I currently am using the sumproduct function to do this in 2 different
columns, in exel 2003 version.
--
LJW

Fred Smith[_4_]

sumproduct text and numbers same column

If this is what you have in column A, you can use:
=sum(A:A)
to sum the numbers, as it will ignore non-numeric entries.

To count the "P"s, use:
=countif(A:A,"P")

Regards,
Fred.

"Babylynn" wrote in message
Is it possible to use the sumproduct function in excel 2007, to count
alpha
characters, and sum numbers in the same column. For example:

Column A

10
10
10

result would be a cell that gives 30
another cell that gives the result (P) 3

I currently am using the sumproduct function to do this in 2 different
columns, in exel 2003 version.
--
LJW

Rick Rothstein

sumproduct text and numbers same column

Assuming the P's were a stand in for any non-number, I would think this
formula would handle the non-numbers...

=COUNTA(A:A)-COUNT(A:A)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)