-   -   list box using defined name (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/22805-list-box-using-defined-name.html)

Jamesmor

list box using defined name

I went through the directions for creating a "named" list (went to
insert-name-define-added cells-clicked add-clicked close)

I named my list "testname"

I go to the cell I want to be a list box, then do the following
-data-validation-allow list-type "=testname" - click ok

I get an error message, is there something I'm doing wrong?

JulieD

Hi

the way i do it in data validation is
data / validation / allow = list, click in the source line and press F3,
this displays the list of names, i then choose the one i want and excel does
the = and " or whatever else it needs.

if that doesn't work, test your range, by going to the name box (left of
formula bar) and clicking on the drop down arrow ..does your range get
selected correctly?

--
Cheers
JulieD
"Jamesmor" wrote in message
I went through the directions for creating a "named" list (went to
insert-name-define-added cells-clicked add-clicked close)

I named my list "testname"

I go to the cell I want to be a list box, then do the following
-data-validation-allow list-type "=testname" - click ok

I get an error message, is there something I'm doing wrong?

Dave Peterson

Did you really type the double quotes? If yes, try it without those quotation
marks.