-   -   options error (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/22750-options-error.html)

bazinoz

options error

Using XP Home - get ""Cannot access directory d:\My Documents" whenever I
click on any tab in the Options dialogue box. So I cant change tanything
including the default location of files. Also get an error message when Excel
tries to autosave.

I have removed and reinstalled Office, have installed SP1, started Excel
from "Run"using "/safe" - but same happens. Have searched knowledgebase and
found no hits for the Options issue, but found 1 for autosave - solution
suggested is SP1.
have seen 2 similar postings somewhere in this community which is wher I got
"/safe" from.

It wasnt always like this afte I first installed - virus maybe? I have very
tight security on.

Rowan

I would guess that your default file location on the ToolsOptionsGeneral
Tab is set to d:\My Documents. If you have drive d mapped as a disk/CD drive
it might be worth creating a folder called My Documents on a disk/CD, loading
the drive and then trying to open excel and change the settings on the
Options tab (change the autosave option as well). I don't know if it will
work (or if you've tried it allready) but it my be worth a go.

Rowan

"bazinoz" wrote:

Using XP Home - get ""Cannot access directory d:\My Documents" whenever I
click on any tab in the Options dialogue box. So I cant change tanything
including the default location of files. Also get an error message when Excel
tries to autosave.

I have removed and reinstalled Office, have installed SP1, started Excel
from "Run"using "/safe" - but same happens. Have searched knowledgebase and
found no hits for the Options issue, but found 1 for autosave - solution
suggested is SP1.
have seen 2 similar postings somewhere in this community which is wher I got
"/safe" from.

It wasnt always like this afte I first installed - virus maybe? I have very
tight security on.

bazinoz

I dont understand "loading the drive". In any case, I cant access any options
tab to change settings. When I try to access any tab in Options, I get the
error message. Does your suggestion somehow temporarily clear this block.

"bazinoz" wrote:

Using XP Home - get ""Cannot access directory d:\My Documents" whenever I
click on any tab in the Options dialogue box. So I cant change tanything
including the default location of files. Also get an error message when Excel
tries to autosave.

I have removed and reinstalled Office, have installed SP1, started Excel
from "Run"using "/safe" - but same happens. Have searched knowledgebase and
found no hits for the Options issue, but found 1 for autosave - solution
suggested is SP1.
have seen 2 similar postings somewhere in this community which is wher I got
"/safe" from.

It wasnt always like this afte I first installed - virus maybe? I have very
tight security on.

Rowan

What I meant by loading the drive is insert a disk into the drive (d) that
has a folder called My Documents on it. That way when you try to access the
options tab which references the folder d:\My Documents Excel will be able to
find the folder. Then you can go and change the reference to your computers
hard drive (probably C). Again, I don't know if it will work but it may be
worth a try.

Regards
Rowan

"bazinoz" wrote:

Using XP Home - get ""Cannot access directory d:\My Documents" whenever I
click on any tab in the Options dialogue box. So I cant change tanything
including the default location of files. Also get an error message when Excel
tries to autosave.

I have removed and reinstalled Office, have installed SP1, started Excel
from "Run"using "/safe" - but same happens. Have searched knowledgebase and
found no hits for the Options issue, but found 1 for autosave - solution
suggested is SP1.
have seen 2 similar postings somewhere in this community which is wher I got
"/safe" from.

It wasnt always like this afte I first installed - virus maybe? I have very
tight security on.

bazinoz

Thanks - The drive already has "My Documents" (although empty ). Drive C:
also has My Documents. I keep data and settings in "D:\(my name) Documents"
I will try variations based on your suggestion including deleting other
instances of "My Documents" and putting files into the empty "My Documents"
on Drive D.

"bazinoz" wrote:

Using XP Home - get ""Cannot access directory d:\My Documents" whenever I
click on any tab in the Options dialogue box. So I cant change tanything
including the default location of files. Also get an error message when Excel
tries to autosave.

I have removed and reinstalled Office, have installed SP1, started Excel
from "Run"using "/safe" - but same happens. Have searched knowledgebase and
found no hits for the Options issue, but found 1 for autosave - solution
suggested is SP1.
have seen 2 similar postings somewhere in this community which is wher I got
"/safe" from.

It wasnt always like this afte I first installed - virus maybe? I have very
tight security on.

bazinoz

Have solved the problem. I had put "D:My Documents" as default file location
and for autosave. It needed to be "D:\My Documents". I was only able to
change the setting by altering the registry files.
Thanks for your help.