-   -   Auto numbering in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/227198-auto-numbering-excel.html)

Gregg Y

Auto numbering in Excel

I would like to know if anyone knows how to create a auto numbering formula
in a cell so that when you open the workbook/worksheet each time it either
populates into the cell you want. Can this be a formula? Do I have to
create a macro?
Using Excel 2003
thanks.s
--
GreggY

Luke M

Auto numbering in Excel

You'll need to use a macro. Open the VBA editor (Alt+F11) and go the the
ThisWorkbook sheet.
Paste this code in:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
'Change Sheet name and Range to desired values
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2").Value + 1
End Sub

If you want the number to increase everytime the sheet is selected, go to
the apprpriate sheet module in the VBA editor, and paste this:

Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
'Change Range callout as deisred
Range("A2").Value = Range("A2").Value + 1

Best Regards,

Luke M