Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Matching column information

I am in charge of a list containing license plates and fuel card numbers.
Once a month i'm sent an updated list. It takes me forever to compair all
this information. Is there a formula where I can compair the rows and it will
show me what is the same and what is changed?

Example of info

CB-045FR 03221
first group is the license plate, second is the fuel card number.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you had the old info in A1:A100 and the new info in D1:D100, in say E1,

=A1=D1 and drag down to E100

This will return TRUE or FALSE so you would just look for the FALSE's

You can do the same if the two lists were in different sheets or different
workbooks,

Regards,
Alan.
"mePenny" wrote in message
I am in charge of a list containing license plates and fuel card numbers.
Once a month i'm sent an updated list. It takes me forever to compair all
this information. Is there a formula where I can compair the rows and it
will
show me what is the same and what is changed?

Example of info

CB-045FR 03221
first group is the license plate, second is the fuel card number.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Say you are comparing columns A and B in Sheet1 to the same columns in
Sheet2, try

=Sheet!A1&B1=Sheet2!A1&B1

Gives TRUE for an exact match, FALSE if anythings diferent.

"mePenny" wrote in message
I am in charge of a list containing license plates and fuel card
numbers.
Once a month i'm sent an updated list. It takes me forever to compair
all
this information. Is there a formula where I can compair the rows and
it
will
show me what is the same and what is changed?

Example of info

CB-045FR 03221
first group is the license plate, second is the fuel card number.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've noticed that the information is not exactly the same on both sheets.
they both have card numbers and license plate numbers but they are scattered.
can I compare in another way?

Penny

"mePenny" wrote in message
I am in charge of a list containing license plates and fuel card
numbers.
Once a month i'm sent an updated list. It takes me forever to compair
all
this information. Is there a formula where I can compair the rows and
it
will
show me what is the same and what is changed?

Example of info

CB-045FR 03221
first group is the license plate, second is the fuel card number.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

mePenny wrote:
I've noticed that the information is not exactly the same on both sheets.
they both have card numbers and license plate numbers but they are scattered.
can I compare in another way?

What do you mean by scattered? I don't see how you can possibly compare
them.

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try sorting both lists by the license numbers and use the formula I
suggested, then sort them by the fuel card numbers and do the same.
I'm not that sure how these lists are constructed obviously. Are there
numbers in one list that don't exist in the other?
Something has to be constant, one number or the other to do a direct
comparison between say Sheet1!A1 and Sheet2!A1 and they have to be in the
same cell, or at least the same order.