-   -   how do I test for a text value in cell c1, if it is there, make c. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/225855-how-do-i-test-text-value-cell-c1-if-there-make-c.html)

Hikerguyab

how do I test for a text value in cell c1, if it is there, make c.

I have downloaded my credit card statement into an Excel spreadsheet
I want to test for certain text strings (ex.: "Shell")
If the text string exists in a cell, I want the numeric value in the next
cell (the charge) entered into a third cell.
summary: if "Shell" exists in C1, then C3 equals the value in C2.

Stefi

how do I test for a text value in cell c1, if it is there, make c.

Enter in C3:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Shell",C1)),C2,"")

Regards,
Stefi