-   -   opening files from desktop (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/225780-opening-files-desktop.html)

Nobrainbob

opening files from desktop

When I try to open an Excel file, Excel opens but the file does not. I have
to open the file using the Office buton in the uper left hand corner. The
files I am using have macros in them, but they all work. Granted all the
files were created in Office 2003, and I am now using Office 2007, I havnt
had any compatibility errors or such. Any help will help my headache.

Legare

opening files from desktop

What exactly happens when you try to open an Excel file? Do you get a
message like "file not found?" One thing that usually fixes problems like
this is the following:

Select Run from the Start menu.
In the Run dialog box enter the following (you may have to modify the path
to the directory where Excel was installed)

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /Regserver

Click OK
Excel should start. When it does, just shut it down and try to open a file
again.