-   -   Restrict entry in one cell based on second cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/225259-restrict-entry-one-cell-based-second-cell.html)

Carol Sitea[_2_]

Restrict entry in one cell based on second cell

I need to restrict entry to a cell if the cell next to it has something in
it. Only one entry per line. I see I can use data validation but not sure
what to put in there!

Thanks in advance for help!
Carol

A B
Federal Other
1 2
2 2
3 2
4 2
5 2
6
7 5
8
9 1

Dave

Restrict entry in one cell based on second cell

Hi Carol,
Try this.
I have assumed your data starts in Row 2

Select all the data in Col A
In data valadation, select Custom
In the formula box enter: =IF($B2<"","")
Click OK

Select all the data in Col B
In data valadation, select Custom
In the formula box enter: =IF($A2<"","")
Click OK

Hope this helps.
Regards - Dave.