-   -   So simple to everyone else (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/225151-so-simple-everyone-else.html)

SO CONFUSED

So simple to everyone else

I need an answer for an easy question.

In this example I have the following names

COLUM A COLUM B
FRED FLINTSTONE
BARNEY RUBBLE
DINO FLINTSTONE
WILMA FLINTSTONE
HUMPHREY BEAR

AND SO THE LIST GOES ON AND ON FOR ABOUT 200 NAMES I HAVE.

i WANT TO GET A FORMULA THAT WILL TELL ME HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE IN THIS LIST
ALL TOGETHER IN COLUM A ONLY. CAUSE IF I USE A AND B THE SAME PERSON GETS
COUNTED TWICE.

Jarek Kujawa[_3_]

So simple to everyone else

http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/Duplicates.aspx

Użytkownik "SO CONFUSED" <SO napisał w
wiadomości ...
I need an answer for an easy question.

In this example I have the following names

COLUM A COLUM B
FRED FLINTSTONE
BARNEY RUBBLE
DINO FLINTSTONE
WILMA FLINTSTONE
HUMPHREY BEAR

AND SO THE LIST GOES ON AND ON FOR ABOUT 200 NAMES I HAVE.

i WANT TO GET A FORMULA THAT WILL TELL ME HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE IN THIS LIST
ALL TOGETHER IN COLUM A ONLY. CAUSE IF I USE A AND B THE SAME PERSON GETS
COUNTED TWICE.

FSt1

So simple to everyone else

hi
all the names in the sample list are unique. is that true of the entire list?
if so you could use the counta formula
=COUNTA(A2:A6) or a range that covers your entire list.

Regards
FSt1

"SO CONFUSED" wrote:

I need an answer for an easy question.

In this example I have the following names

COLUM A COLUM B
FRED FLINTSTONE
BARNEY RUBBLE
DINO FLINTSTONE
WILMA FLINTSTONE
HUMPHREY BEAR

AND SO THE LIST GOES ON AND ON FOR ABOUT 200 NAMES I HAVE.

i WANT TO GET A FORMULA THAT WILL TELL ME HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE IN THIS LIST
ALL TOGETHER IN COLUM A ONLY. CAUSE IF I USE A AND B THE SAME PERSON GETS
COUNTED TWICE.

Fred Smith[_4_]

So simple to everyone else

Try this array formula:
=SUM(1/COUNTIF(A1:A5,A1:A5))

Adjust your range to fit. Array formulas are committed with
Ctrl-Shift-Enter. Excel will put braces around the formula to confirm its
acceptance.

Regards
Fred

"SO CONFUSED" <SO wrote in message
I need an answer for an easy question.

In this example I have the following names

COLUM A COLUM B
FRED FLINTSTONE
BARNEY RUBBLE
DINO FLINTSTONE
WILMA FLINTSTONE
HUMPHREY BEAR

AND SO THE LIST GOES ON AND ON FOR ABOUT 200 NAMES I HAVE.

i WANT TO GET A FORMULA THAT WILL TELL ME HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE IN THIS LIST
ALL TOGETHER IN COLUM A ONLY. CAUSE IF I USE A AND B THE SAME PERSON GETS
COUNTED TWICE.

Bernd P

So simple to everyone else

Hello,

I suggest to array-enter into an area of 200 rows and 3 columns:
=Pfreq(A2:A999,B2:B999)

Pfreq you can find he
http://www.sulprobil.com/html/pfreq.html

Regards,