-   -   text as 0 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/22435-text-0-a.html)

Rick Stanford

text as 0

I have cells formatted as 'text' in several worksheets linked to a text cell
on a 'master' worksheet. When I enter text in the cell on the master
worksheet, it is copied into the cells on the linked worksheets. However,
when I delete the text in the cell on the master worksheet, I get a '0' in
the cells on the linked worksheets - rather than a blank.

How can I format the cells in the linked worksheets to just show a blank,
rather than a '0'?

Thanks,
Rick

Peo Sjoblom

You can use a custom format like

General;-General;

or you can change the link to

=IF('Master'!A1="","",'Master'!A1)

Peo Sjoblom

"Rick Stanford" wrote in message
I have cells formatted as 'text' in several worksheets linked to a text
cell
on a 'master' worksheet. When I enter text in the cell on the master
worksheet, it is copied into the cells on the linked worksheets. However,
when I delete the text in the cell on the master worksheet, I get a '0' in
the cells on the linked worksheets - rather than a blank.

How can I format the cells in the linked worksheets to just show a blank,
rather than a '0'?

Thanks,
Rick

William

Hi Rick

Try formatting cells on the linked worksheets with something like...
[0]#,##0_ ;[Red][<0](#,##0);
--

-----
XL2003

William

"Rick Stanford" wrote in message
I have cells formatted as 'text' in several worksheets linked to a text
cell
on a 'master' worksheet. When I enter text in the cell on the master
worksheet, it is copied into the cells on the linked worksheets. However,
when I delete the text in the cell on the master worksheet, I get a '0' in
the cells on the linked worksheets - rather than a blank.

How can I format the cells in the linked worksheets to just show a blank,
rather than a '0'?

Thanks,
Rick

Sharon

Or, if you don't need to see any zeros at all, you can click on the Tools
menu select Options View Tab and uncheck the Zero Values option.

"Rick Stanford" wrote:

I have cells formatted as 'text' in several worksheets linked to a text cell
on a 'master' worksheet. When I enter text in the cell on the master
worksheet, it is copied into the cells on the linked worksheets. However,
when I delete the text in the cell on the master worksheet, I get a '0' in
the cells on the linked worksheets - rather than a blank.

How can I format the cells in the linked worksheets to just show a blank,
rather than a '0'?

Thanks,
Rick

Gord Dibben

And more yet.......

Method 1. Hide the zeros using ToolsOptionsView. Uncheck "zero values"

Method 2. Use an IF formula in the linked cells.

=IF(ISBLANK(Sheet1!A1,"",Sheet1A1)

If you have a great whack of these, after you paste the links, run this macro
on the selected range.

Sub ISBLANK_Add()
Dim myStr As String
Dim cel As Range
For Each cel In Selection
If cel.HasFormula = True Then
If Not cel.Formula Like "=IF(ISBLANK*" Then
myStr = Right(cel.Formula, Len(cel.Formula) - 1)
cel.Value = "=IF(ISBLANK(" & myStr & "),""""," & myStr & ")"
Next
End Sub

Gord Dibben Excel MVP