Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default In excel what does a file ending with .xlsx mean?

I have created and saved several files in Excel. I then sent them to a friend
at a different company. I was then notified that they could open all of the
files that were .xls but the one that was .xlsx they could not open. How did
I get the file saved with the extra x, and what does that mean?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

..xlsx is a Excel 2007 format, whereas .xls is Excel 2003 or earlier.

Excel 2007 allows you to save in multiple 2007 formats:
..xlsx - Normal Excel 2007 format
..xlsm - Macro-Enabled format
..xlsb - Binary format

Save your files as 2003 under Save as Type and you should be fine.

PJ

"pdog1967" wrote:

I have created and saved several files in Excel. I then sent them to a friend
at a different company. I was then notified that they could open all of the
files that were .xls but the one that was .xlsx they could not open. How did
I get the file saved with the extra x, and what does that mean?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi pdog1967

This is one of the new file formats in excel 2007

See
http://www.rondebruin.nl/2007filesin2003.htm

This are the main formats in Excel 2007 :

xlsx = xlOpenXMLWorkbook (without macro's in 2007, xlsx)
xlsm = xlOpenXMLWorkbookMacroEnabled (with or without macro's in 2007, xlsm)
xlsb = xlExcel12 (Excel Binary Workbook in 2007 with or without macros, xlsb)
xls = xlExcel8 (97-2003 format in Excel 2007, xls)

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm