-   -   Conditional formatting affects text as well as values (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/222733-conditional-formatting-affects-text-well-values.html)

SueG

Conditional formatting affects text as well as values

I'm using Excel 2003. I have a column of order totals. I have applied
conditional formatting to make any values <500 red and =2500 green. This
works fine but it also changes the colour of my column heading text to green.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Mike H

Conditional formatting affects text as well as values

Hi,

Do it like this instead. Select your column, I used A and then

Format|Conditional format - Formula is and enter the formula

=AND(ISNUMBER(A1),A1<500)
Pick your colour

ClicK add and enter the formula
=AND(ISNUMBER(A1),A1=2500)

and pick your colour

OK

Mike

"SueG" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2003. I have a column of order totals. I have applied
conditional formatting to make any values <500 red and =2500 green. This
works fine but it also changes the colour of my column heading text to green.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

JLatham

Conditional formatting affects text as well as values

You've probably applied the conditional formatting to the entire column and
Excel is interpreting the value in your column header as being =2500. You
can select that single header cell and go to Format | Conditional formatting
and remove the conditional formatting for that cell. Be sure that when you
do that you respond "NO" to apply the changes to all cells with similar
formatting to preserve the conditional formatting for the rest of the column.

"SueG" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2003. I have a column of order totals. I have applied
conditional formatting to make any values <500 red and =2500 green. This
works fine but it also changes the colour of my column heading text to green.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Max

Conditional formatting affects text as well as values

.. but it also changes the colour of my column heading text to green.
Excel simply evaluates any text as being greater than any real num, that's
why. You could just remove the CF applied in the header row, as per Jerry's
response.
--
Max
Singapore
"SueG" wrote:
I'm using Excel 2003. I have a column of order totals. I have applied
conditional formatting to make any values <500 red and =2500 green. This
works fine but it also changes the colour of my column heading text to green.
Is this correct?

SueG

Conditional formatting affects text as well as values

Thanks for the help

"SueG" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2003. I have a column of order totals. I have applied
conditional formatting to make any values <500 red and =2500 green. This
works fine but it also changes the colour of my column heading text to green.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

SueG

Conditional formatting affects text as well as values

Thanks for the reply

"SueG" wrote:
I'm using Excel 2003. I have a column of order totals. I have applied
conditional formatting to make any values <500 red and =2500 green. This
works fine but it also changes the colour of my column heading text to green.
Is this correct?

Max

Conditional formatting affects text as well as values

Welcome
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
Downloads:23,500 Files:370 Subscribers:66
xdemechanik
---
"SueG" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply