-   -   Excel query via ODBC, left joins on multiple tables (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/222421-excel-query-via-odbc-left-joins-multiple-tables.html)

Todd

Excel query via ODBC, left joins on multiple tables

Using Excel 2003 and Windows XP

In Excel, in a query built in Microsoft Query/ODBC, I bring in information
from about 7 tables from a SQL Server 2005 database. Now I want to add an 8th
table connected to one of the other tables, have all the records that
currently appear still appear and, if a result is present in the 8th table,
display it. If no record is present in the 8th table, leave the cell blank.
Normally, I would do this with a left join. However, because of the number of
tables, MS Query says I can't do that.

Now, I go to another program, SQL Excel, which doesn't complain when I put
the left join statement in but still only returns records IF THERE IS A
RECORD PRESENT IN THE 8th TABLE. Is this a "feature" of ODBC? Is there any
way I can get around it using something built into Excel, using something
free or using something built into Windows? Or do I have to pay for something
to get it done?

Thanks,
Todd