-   -   Parsing text in a cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/222162-parsing-text-cell.html)

DianeD

Parsing text in a cell

I get a report of our members with the names in one cell. I need to parse to
separate the last name so I can alpha sort. Some names have first, middle,
last, title and some just have first and last. If I create 4 columns, then
those names with 2 parts fall in the wrong fields.
--
Diane

Shane Devenshire[_2_]

Parsing text in a cell

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire
Hi,

try this - select the range and choose Data, Text to Columns, and follow the
wizard depending on your data. this should split the data and depending on
exactly how it is layed out you might get lucky and everything will be
prefect.

Next time it would be good to show us a sample of your data.

If this helps please click the Yes button.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire