-   -   CONDITIONAL COUNT of text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/221948-conditional-count-text.html)

sbrogins

CONDITIONAL COUNT of text

I have an excel file with a location code in col A (in text) and attendence
(marked as F, H, or A) in cols E-I (corresponding with days of the week).
Each row is a person.

I need to count each type of attendence for each type of code for the whole
sheet. I've been screwing around with ifs, ands, sums, sumproducts. I must
be making it harder than it really is . . . .

Luke M

CONDITIONAL COUNT of text

This gives count of "F"'s that have a corresponding code of "A"
=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A5="A")*(E1:I5="F"))

Adjust range sizes as needed. I assumed you wanted a count of each
attendance regardless of what dat it was. For each day, simply limit the
width of the second array.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"sbrogins" wrote:

I have an excel file with a location code in col A (in text) and attendence
(marked as F, H, or A) in cols E-I (corresponding with days of the week).
Each row is a person.

I need to count each type of attendence for each type of code for the whole
sheet. I've been screwing around with ifs, ands, sums, sumproducts. I must
be making it harder than it really is . . . .

Dave Peterson

CONDITIONAL COUNT of text

=countif(E:I,"F")
would count the number of F's in columns E:I

sbrogins wrote:

I have an excel file with a location code in col A (in text) and attendence
(marked as F, H, or A) in cols E-I (corresponding with days of the week).
Each row is a person.

I need to count each type of attendence for each type of code for the whole
sheet. I've been screwing around with ifs, ands, sums, sumproducts. I must
be making it harder than it really is . . . .

--

Dave Peterson

sbrogins

CONDITIONAL COUNT of text

that far I got, but then got stuck trying to get the subtotals by the code in
column A. Luke's answer above does it, though, I just never had the syntax
quite right.