-   -   Highlight cell on screen but not when printed? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/219142-highlight-cell-screen-but-not-when-printed.html)

travis

Highlight cell on screen but not when printed?

I'd like to be able to highlight cells in my spreadsheet to call attention to
someone working in the spreadsheet, but I'd like it to be invisible to the
reader of the printed schedule. Is that possible? Thanks.

Gord Dibben

Highlight cell on screen but not when printed?

Assuming highlight means to color the cells.........

Set print options to Black and White

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 13:11:12 -0800, Travis
wrote:

I'd like to be able to highlight cells in my spreadsheet to call attention to
someone working in the spreadsheet, but I'd like it to be invisible to the
reader of the printed schedule. Is that possible? Thanks.

travis

Highlight cell on screen but not when printed?

Thanks Gord, but that's not really what I meant. That would just give me a
gray highlight rather than a colored highlight on the printed result.

An example of what I want to do is to color certain cells, say, green. When
one of my employees uses my excel model, she will know that all input
variables are highlighted in green, and that she is free to change the values
in these cells. She will also know not to make any changes to cells that
aren't green, because those cells contain formulas or constants.

Our clients don't see the excel model -- they only see the printed results.
The distinction between variables, constants and formulas is not important to
our clients, only to me and my employees. Consequently, I don't want anything
showing up on the printed results that indicates the distinction.

In short, I want a shorthand visual means (in this case, color-coding) of
communicating something only to the excel user and not to the person viewing
the printed results.

wrote:

I'd like to be able to highlight cells in my spreadsheet to call attention to
someone working in the spreadsheet, but I'd like it to be invisible to the
reader of the printed schedule. Is that possible? Thanks.

Gord Dibben

Highlight cell on screen but not when printed?

I don't get a gray highlight when I print in Black and White so my printer
setup must be different.

I guess you could always copy the sheet then clear the highlighted cells and
change all formulas to values.

Print that for the clients.

You could automate by recording a macro.

Or protect the sheet with only those user cells unlocked and selectable.

User can Tab to unlocked cells and edit those only.

Gord