-   -   Cell contents in formula bar (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/218550-cell-contents-formula-bar.html)

Brettjg

Cell contents in formula bar

Hi there, my formula bar is displayed, and usually the contents (value or
formula) is displayed there. However, in another workbook that I did not
create, the contents of the cell does not display in the formula bar. I can't
seem to find anything in options to change this.

Thankyou for any help that comes my way. Brett

Sheeloo[_3_]

Cell contents in formula bar

Choose Format, Cells. In the Format Cells dialog box, click the Protection tab.

There will be a check box against Hidden. With this setting you can not see
the formula, only its result.

You need to unprotect the Workbook (you need the password which was used to
protect it) and then clear the check box.

"Brettjg" wrote:

Hi there, my formula bar is displayed, and usually the contents (value or
formula) is displayed there. However, in another workbook that I did not
create, the contents of the cell does not display in the formula bar. I can't
seem to find anything in options to change this.

Thankyou for any help that comes my way. Brett

Max

Cell contents in formula bar

Sounds like the sheet is protected,
with the setting for formulas to be hidden

If you're looking to do likewise, the basic sequence is,
with the cells selected:
1. Format Cells Protection tab Check "Hidden" OK
2. Tools Protection Protect Sheet OK
--
Max
Singapore
"Brettjg" wrote:
Hi there, my formula bar is displayed, and usually the contents (value or
formula) is displayed there. However, in another workbook that I did not
create, the contents of the cell does not display in the formula bar. I can't
seem to find anything in options to change this.

Pete_UK

Cell contents in formula bar

Is the sheet protected? You can set cells to be locked and hidden, and
when protection is applied the cells behave as you have described.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 30, 11:42*pm, Brettjg
wrote:
Hi there, my formula bar is displayed, and usually the contents (value or
formula) is displayed there. However, in another workbook that I did not
create, the contents of the cell does not display in the formula bar. I can't
seem to find anything in options to change this.

Thankyou for any help that comes my way. Brett

Brettjg

Cell contents in formula bar

Perfecto, thankyou.

wrote:
Hi there, my formula bar is displayed, and usually the contents (value or
formula) is displayed there. However, in another workbook that I did not
create, the contents of the cell does not display in the formula bar. I can't
seem to find anything in options to change this.

Thankyou for any help that comes my way. Brett

Brettjg

Cell contents in formula bar

Perfecto, thankyou

"Brettjg" wrote:

Hi there, my formula bar is displayed, and usually the contents (value or
formula) is displayed there. However, in another workbook that I did not
create, the contents of the cell does not display in the formula bar. I can't
seem to find anything in options to change this.

Thankyou for any help that comes my way. Brett

Pete_UK

Cell contents in formula bar

You're welcome.

Pete

On Jan 31, 12:10*am, Brettjg
wrote:
Perfecto, thankyou.

Max

Cell contents in formula bar

welcome
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
Downloads:22,500 Files:370 Subscribers:66
xdemechanik
---
"Brettjg" wrote in message
Perfecto, thankyou

Max

Cell contents in formula bar

.. can set cells to be locked and hidden
Its independent. The settings can be for cells not to be locked but hidden
only, and it'll still work to hide the formulas when sheet protection is
applied. Albeit I do believe that the 2 features, ie: locked and hidden are
meant to be applied together.