-   -   Automatically change cell colors based on date in cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/218029-automatically-change-cell-colors-based-date-cell.html)

Greg

Automatically change cell colors based on date in cell

Does anyone know if it's possible to have excel automatically change the
color of a cell based on a date?
I have to keep track of a large amount of ID and permit expiration
dates, and right now I have to go thru them every month and change the colors
myself. Red is for expirations within 3 months, yellow for 4-8 months, and
green for 9 months or longer. This makes it easier to identify which are
expiring sooner.
I was trying to see if excel could do this automatically based on the
date in the field and the date on the system.
Thanks, Greg

Sheeloo[_3_]

Automatically change cell colors based on date in cell

Use CONDITIONAL FORMATTING
go with the option FORMULA IS
and use something like
=(Today()-A1)30
which will be true if the date in A1 is more than 30 days in the past

"Greg" wrote:

Does anyone know if it's possible to have excel automatically change the
color of a cell based on a date?
I have to keep track of a large amount of ID and permit expiration
dates, and right now I have to go thru them every month and change the colors
myself. Red is for expirations within 3 months, yellow for 4-8 months, and
green for 9 months or longer. This makes it easier to identify which are
expiring sooner.
I was trying to see if excel could do this automatically based on the
date in the field and the date on the system.
Thanks, Greg

Soccer boy[_2_]

Automatically change cell colors based on date in cell

You can try Conditional Formatting, Click on Format in your Toolbar, and
select condtional Formatting. in there you can format the cell to be a
certain color if it falls into a certain Criteria. try that.