-   -   putting peoples' ages in age groups...? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/217057-putting-peoples-ages-age-groups.html)

Sherry

putting peoples' ages in age groups...?

Hi - I have a very long list of peoples' ages from about 22 - 70 yrs. old. I
need to put them into 5 different groups.
<30, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+

I don't mind using more than one formula but I can't figure out how to write
it so if I highlight those cells of numbers they will grouped into those age
groups. I kind of would like to see the age group that the person falls into
maybe in the column next to their age so I can still see my original data.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks much.
--
sherry

smartin

sherry wrote:
Hi - I have a very long list of peoples' ages from about 22 - 70 yrs. old. I
need to put them into 5 different groups.
<30, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+

I don't mind using more than one formula but I can't figure out how to write
it so if I highlight those cells of numbers they will grouped into those age
groups. I kind of would like to see the age group that the person falls into
maybe in the column next to their age so I can still see my original data.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks much.

Hi sherry,

In a new worksheet (say, Sheet2) create a table like this using columns
A and B:

0 <30
30 30-39
40 40-49
50 50-59
60 60+

Then, if your list of people's ages is in Sheet1 column A, place this
formula in B1 and fill down:

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$5,2,TRUE)

Sherry

putting peoples' ages in age groups...?

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH. By reading your formula, I'm assuming that I can also
use that for putting people into salary groups also. It just depends on what
I choose to type in Columns A & B on Sheet 2, correct? If so, this is (and
you are) a lifesaver!
--
sherry

sherry wrote:
THANK YOU SO SO MUCH. By reading your formula, I'm assuming that I can also
use that for putting people into salary groups also. It just depends on what
I choose to type in Columns A & B on Sheet 2, correct? If so, this is (and
you are) a lifesaver!

Yes that will work the same way. Just make sure Sheet2 column A is
sorted ascending, and adjust the formula to accommodate the number of
rows you have in Sheet2.

Sherry

putting peoples' ages in age groups...?

Got it! thx