-   -   Cells won't convert to number format, even after format/cells/num. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/21628-cells-wont-convert-number-format-even-after-format-cells-num.html)

scottr

Cells won't convert to number format, even after format/cells/num.

In excel, I tried to convert numbers to number format, using
format/cells/number from the category list. But it won't take, and stays
text-like. Any ideas?

Dave Peterson

If it turns out that you have spaces (or those non-breaking spaces), David
McRitchie has some code that will help clean this junk up:

(look for "Sub Trimall()")

But after you format the cell as general, try selecting the cell, then hit F2,
then enter.

You have to make a change to the cell for the value to change from text to
number.

--

Dave Peterson

PegL

If the data was entered as text, it will stay text even if you reformat the
cell. One way to correct this is to put a zero in a blank cell, copy it,
then select the cells you want to be numeric, click Paste special and click
on Add in the function section.

"scottr" wrote:

In excel, I tried to convert numbers to number format, using
format/cells/number from the category list. But it won't take, and stays
text-like. Any ideas?

Gord Dibben

Peg

Slight ammendment to your post, if I may.

Copy a blank cell and paste specialadd is easier then typing a zero in the
cell then clearing it after the add.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"scottr" wrote:

In excel, I tried to convert numbers to number format, using
format/cells/number from the category list. But it won't take, and stays
text-like. Any ideas?

Dave Peterson

With the added benefit that blank cells won't turn to 0.

"scottr" wrote:

In excel, I tried to convert numbers to number format, using
format/cells/number from the category list. But it won't take, and stays
text-like. Any ideas?

--

Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben