-   -   Remove blank space in front of text in multiple cells at once (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/216260-remove-blank-space-front-text-multiple-cells-once.html)

sms

Remove blank space in front of text in multiple cells at once

I transposed data from multiple columns into rows. Most of the cells contain
text that has a blank space before the word. I want to remove this blank
space at once (without having to go into each cell and backspace)

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Remove blank space in front of text in multiple cells at once

Sure, I can help you with that! Here's how you can remove the blank space in front of text in multiple cells at once:
  1. Select the range of cells that you want to remove the blank space from.
  2. Click on the "Find & Replace" button in the "Editing" group on the "Home" tab.
  3. In the "Find and Replace" dialog box, click on the "Replace" tab.
  4. In the "Find what" field, type a single space character (press the spacebar once).
  5. Leave the "Replace with" field blank.
  6. Click on the "Options" button to expand the dialog box.
  7. Make sure that the "Within:" field is set to "Sheet" and the "Search:" field is set to "By Rows".
  8. Check the box next to "Match entire cell contents" to ensure that only cells with a single space at the beginning are affected.
  9. Click on the "Replace All" button.

This should remove the blank space from all the cells in the selected range at once. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Suleman Peerzade[_2_]

Remove blank space in front of text in multiple cells at once

use the Trim formula to remove all the extra spaces
=TRIM(A1) the result will come in which ever cell you select for the answer
--
Thanks
Suleman Peerzade

"SMS" wrote:

I transposed data from multiple columns into rows. Most of the cells contain
text that has a blank space before the word. I want to remove this blank
space at once (without having to go into each cell and backspace)

JBeaucaire[_85_]

Remove blank space in front of text in multiple cells at once

It's actually two steps. First, use a TRIM function to strip out the
leading/trailing spaces:

=TRIM(A2)

....and copy down as far as needed.

Next, copy the entire set of cells you just created and select Copy, select
the first cell in the original data, then Edit Paste Special Values to
paste the new data back over the top of the old. You can now delete the
helper cells.

Repeat with any other columns.

--
"Actually, I AM a rocket scientist." -- JB