-   -   Copied info from Excel worksheet, but pasted info won't work in fo (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/215685-copied-info-excel-worksheet-but-pasted-info-wont-work-fo.html)

KRISTENV

Copied info from Excel worksheet, but pasted info won't work in fo

I am very familiar with VLOOKUP but am having problems cutting and pasting
correctly. I copied info from an excel worksheet (on a separate file) to my
current worksheet to use a reference. A second worksheet has the VLOOKUP
formula, but they aren't working. However, I find if I re-type the info in
just the cell it's searching on in the worksheet that has the formula, it
works.

I've tried recopying the data and pasting as value. My only other option is
to retype every stinking line. Can anyone suggest anything to help?

Thanks!

Dave Peterson

Copied info from Excel worksheet, but pasted info won't work in fo

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on troubleshooting =vlookup():
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

--

Dave Peterson

Sheeloo[_3_]

Copied info from Excel worksheet, but pasted info won't work in fo

Problem is not clear...

Are you copying the lookup data from one sheet to another or the VLOOKUP?

Give one example...

Also verify the datatypes...

You may send the file to me. Click on my name to get my id.

"KRISTENV" wrote:

I am very familiar with VLOOKUP but am having problems cutting and pasting
correctly. I copied info from an excel worksheet (on a separate file) to my
current worksheet to use a reference. A second worksheet has the VLOOKUP
formula, but they aren't working. However, I find if I re-type the info in
just the cell it's searching on in the worksheet that has the formula, it
works.

I've tried recopying the data and pasting as value. My only other option is
to retype every stinking line. Can anyone suggest anything to help?

Thanks!

KRISTENV

Copied info from Excel worksheet, but pasted info won't work i

To clarify things, the format type of the cell I'm searching is General.
Worksheet #1 has a table with column A having inventory item numbers, column
b has the description of the item, column c is blank. worksheet #2 has a
table with column A having inventory item numbers, colum b has description,
and column c has the costs. I want worksheet #1 to show the costs from
worksheet #2.

The info for worksheet #2 came from a report generated onto a word document
that I copied and pasted into worksheet #2, which is why I was wondering if
the copy and paste was the issue.

Turns out worksheet #2 info in column A had extra spaces in it when I copied
it. So to fix that, I went under the menu Data, selected "Text to Columns"
and set the width as delimited by space. Then I re-ented my formula in
worksheet #1 and it worked.

I guess what happened was both column A's inventory items looked the same,
but in worksheet #2 there were extra spaces that I couldn't see and that's
why it didn't work.

Thanks! And I liked the link on the vlookups. Very informative.