Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default delete first 4 letters in a cell

Hello I want to delete the first four characters in a cell example MRS.
Mary Johnson I want to delete MRS. I tried "left, and mid function but I
must be doing something wrong. Thanks for your help
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: delete first 4 letters in a cell

Here's the formatted text:

To delete the first four characters in a cell, you can use the "RIGHT" function in Excel. Here's how to do it:
  1. Select the cell that contains the text you want to modify.
  2. In the formula bar at the top of the screen, type
    Code:
    =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-4)
    (without the quotes).
  3. Press Enter.

This formula will remove the first four characters from the cell and display the remaining text. In this case, it will remove "MRS." from "MRS. Mary Johnson" and display "Mary Johnson" instead.

I hope that helps!
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=RIGHT(A5,LEN(A5)-5)
or
=RIGHT(A5,LEN(A5)-FIND(" ",A5))
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Wanna Learn" wrote in message
Hello I want to delete the first four characters in a cell example
MRS.
Mary Johnson I want to delete MRS. I tried "left, and mid function but I
must be doing something wrong. Thanks for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

On the face of it, this might suffice
With data in A1 down
In B1, copied down: =TRIM(MID(A1,5,99))
--
Max
Singapore
"Wanna Learn" wrote:
Hello I want to delete the first four characters in a cell example MRS.
Mary Johnson I want to delete MRS. I tried "left, and mid function but I
must be doing something wrong. Thanks for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 05:38:01 -0800, Wanna Learn
wrote:

Hello I want to delete the first four characters in a cell example MRS.
Mary Johnson I want to delete MRS. I tried "left, and mid function but I
must be doing something wrong. Thanks for your help

If you really just want to delete the first four characters, then:

=REPLACE(A1,1,4,"")

If you also want to delete any leading spaces, left over, as there would be
with your example, then:

=trim(REPLACE(A1,1,4,""))

If you want to delete everything up to and including the first space (i.e. the
first word), then:

=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,255)

If you only want to delete the first word if it is one of several words, then
it gets more complicated.
--ron