-   -   How do I use text in a cell as a range name in a formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/21375-how-do-i-use-text-cell-range-name-formula.html)

Kiwi

How do I use text in a cell as a range name in a formula

If cell A1 had the text TEST in it
and TEST is the name I have given to a group of cells using the name box
what formula can I use to give me the sum of TEST, thats is the sum of the
cells in the group called TEST.
I understand that I can simply have =SUM(TEST), but I want the formula to
refer to Cell A1 to get the name ie =SUM(A1) doesn't work obviously

Any help appreciated
Thank you

Chip Pearson

In this case, you want to use the INDIRECT function. E.g.,

=SUM(INDIRECT(A1))

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Kiwi" wrote in message

If cell A1 had the text TEST in it
and TEST is the name I have given to a group of cells using the
name box
what formula can I use to give me the sum of TEST, thats is the
sum of the
cells in the group called TEST.
I understand that I can simply have =SUM(TEST), but I want the
formula to
refer to Cell A1 to get the name ie =SUM(A1) doesn't work
obviously

Any help appreciated
Thank you

Kiwi