-   -   find & replace - digit wildcard (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/211637-find-replace-digit-wildcard.html)

DonnaP99

find & replace - digit wildcard

If I were using Word, I would enter ^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^# in the
Find field to find any 15-digit number. Is there an equivalent in Excel? What
I'm trying to accomplish is to eliminate the 23 digits of useless information
in the description of every checkcard transaction in the spreadsheet of my
transaction history that I've downloaded from my bank.
TIA!

Vickie

find & replace - digit wildcard

Are the 23 digits of useless information always in the same position in the
field? Like always at the end or beginning or is it random?

Also, what is in the field? Is it exclusively the 15+23 digits? or is there
other information? If the data is stand-alone and always in the same
position you can use the LEFT or RIGHT formulas to only pull in what you want.

DonnaP99

find & replace - digit wildcard

ANSWERS BELOW

Are the 23 digits of useless information always in the same position in the
field? Like always at the end or beginning or is it random?

AT THE END OF THE FIELD, BUT EACH ROW OF THAT COLUMN DOES NOT ALWAYS HAVE
THE 23-D

Also, what is in the field? Is it exclusively the 15+23 digits? or is there
other information?

THERE IS OTHER INFORMATION + THE 23-D (the 15-d was just for illustrative
purposes)

Thanks!