-   -   adding a zero in front of number (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/21033-adding-zero-front-number.html)

Pinky

adding a zero in front of number

how do you add a zero in front of other numbers, I am using item numbers and
most start with zero, just shows whole numbers when I enter. example 095421
when I enter shows 95421. help.

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

When the number must remain numeric data, then format the cell as Custom
"00000" (the number of 0's determines to which length is the entry padded).

When you want the number to be converted to string, then use the formula (in
my example the original number resides in cell A1)
=TEXT(A1,"00000")
(again, the number of 0's in format string determines the length of padding)

Arvi Laanemets

"Pinky" wrote in message
how do you add a zero in front of other numbers, I am using item numbers

and
most start with zero, just shows whole numbers when I enter. example

095421
when I enter shows 95421. help.

SUNIL S GAWDE \(INDIA\)