-   -   Password (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/210325-password.html)

melodymabbott

Password

I have a document in my computer that I use all of the time. It is an excel
spreadsheet. I have a blank one that I add info. to and then I save it as
that date so that I will still have my blank one for the next week.
Everthing worked fine like that for a couple of months. Then one day I went
to open the document and it keeps asking me for a password. I did not
password protect it and therefore I do not know the password. Can you tell
me how to get rid of that? Or how to reset the password when I don't even
know what the password currently is because it just appeared. I did not put
it in there. Melody

Phil

Password

Well it sounds as if somebody has, Melody!

If the password is needed to open the file, then someone has either
put a workbook password on it, or you are trying to open it from a
server or Sharepoint site that you don't have access to.

There are a number of password crack programs on the Net or
alternatively somebody in the newsgroup may come up with a macro
(which I doubt, 'cos I've tried!)

I use a password cracker that I had to pay for (about $10) - and it
works. Do a Google for excel Workbook passwords and you should find
one.

Hope that helps

Phil