-   -   Looking for the word "WIN" in a cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/210254-looking-word-win-cell.html)

F. Lawrence Kulchar

Looking for the word "WIN" in a cell

Now van I test for a true-false issue in a cell containing the word 'WIN'??

For example, the followinh cells would provide the following vresults;

win, P1 TRUE
P2, Pa3 FALSE
P4,KING, win TRUE
Tr,win,dr,win,lose TRUE
Lose, Lose, Winfield FASLSE
Lose, Lose, Winfield FALSE

Thanks, FLKulch

T. Valko

Looking for the word "WIN" in a cell

Based on your samples:

All on one line. Split so that line wrap won't take out any of the space
characters in the formula.

=ISNUMBER(SEARCH(" win "," "
&SUBSTITUTE(A2,","," ")&" "))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"F. Lawrence Kulchar" wrote in
message ...
Now van I test for a true-false issue in a cell containing the word
'WIN'??

For example, the followinh cells would provide the following vresults;

win, P1 TRUE
P2, Pa3 FALSE
P4,KING, win TRUE
Tr,win,dr,win,lose TRUE
Lose, Lose, Winfield FASLSE
Lose, Lose, Winfield FALSE

Thanks, FLKulch

Sheeloo[_3_]

Looking for the word "WIN" in a cell

Try
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("win",A1)),FALSE,TRUE)

It will not match Win though...
If case is not important then you can use UPPER("win") and UPPER(A1)
=IF(ISERROR(FIND(UPPER("win"),UPPER(A1))),FALSE,TR UE)

"F. Lawrence Kulchar" wrote:

Now van I test for a true-false issue in a cell containing the word 'WIN'??

For example, the followinh cells would provide the following vresults;

win, P1 TRUE
P2, Pa3 FALSE
P4,KING, win TRUE
Tr,win,dr,win,lose TRUE
Lose, Lose, Winfield FASLSE
Lose, Lose, Winfield FALSE

Thanks, FLKulch

Pete_UK

Looking for the word "WIN" in a cell

Or you can use SEARCH, which is not case-sensitive, instead of FIND.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"F. Lawrence Kulchar" wrote:
Now van I test for a true-false issue in a cell containing the word 'WIN'??

For example, the followinh cells would provide the following vresults;

* * *win, P1 * * * * * * * * TRUE
* * * P2, Pa3 * * * * * * * *FALSE
* * *P4,KING, win * * * * TRUE
* * *Tr,win,dr,win,lose *TRUE
* *Lose, Lose, Winfield *FASLSE
*Lose, Lose, Winfield * *FALSE

Thanks, *FLKulch- Hide quoted text -

T. Valko

Looking for the word "WIN" in a cell

If case is not important then you can use UPPER("win") and UPPER(A1)
=IF(ISERROR(FIND(UPPER("win"),UPPER(A1))),FALSE,T RUE)

If case is not a factor just use SEARCH and "win":

=IF(COUNT(SEARCH("win",A1)),TRUE)

However, that will fail in these cases:

Lose, Lose, Winfield
Lose, Lose, Winfield

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Sheeloo" <="to" & CHAR(95) & "sheeloo" & CHAR(64) & "hotmail.com" wrote in
message ...

"F. Lawrence Kulchar" wrote:

Now van I test for a true-false issue in a cell containing the word
'WIN'??

For example, the followinh cells would provide the following vresults;

win, P1 TRUE
P2, Pa3 FALSE
P4,KING, win TRUE
Tr,win,dr,win,lose TRUE
Lose, Lose, Winfield FASLSE
Lose, Lose, Winfield FALSE

Thanks, FLKulch

Francis L. Kulchar

Looking for the word "WIN" in a cell

Thanks...works perfectly!!

FLKulchar

--
Francis L. Kulchar

"F. Lawrence Kulchar" wrote:

Now van I test for a true-false issue in a cell containing the word
'WIN'??

For example, the followinh cells would provide the following vresults;

win, P1 TRUE
P2, Pa3 FALSE
P4,KING, win TRUE
Tr,win,dr,win,lose TRUE
Lose, Lose, Winfield FASLSE
Lose, Lose, Winfield FALSE

Thanks, FLKulch

Francis L. Kulchar

Looking for the word "WIN" in a cell

Your formula seems NOT to fail with Lose, Lose, Winfield

--
Francis L. Kulchar

"F. Lawrence Kulchar" wrote:

Now van I test for a true-false issue in a cell containing the word
'WIN'??

For example, the followinh cells would provide the following vresults;

win, P1 TRUE
P2, Pa3 FALSE
P4,KING, win TRUE
Tr,win,dr,win,lose TRUE
Lose, Lose, Winfield FASLSE
Lose, Lose, Winfield FALSE

Thanks, FLKulch

T. Valko

Looking for the word "WIN" in a cell

Your formula seems NOT to fail with Lose, Lose, Winfield

Which formula? This one:

=IF(COUNT(SEARCH("win",A1)),TRUE)

That formula returns TRUE which is incorrect according to the results you
wanted as posted in you sample.

This formula returns FALSE which is correct according to the results you