-   -   How do I display a formula result without losing the formula? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/209361-how-do-i-display-formula-result-without-losing-formula.html)

mamajazz

How do I display a formula result without losing the formula?

Often in Excel 2003, I'm unable to see the result (value) of a formula (ie.
countif, counta). The only way I've found to actually see the result is to
copy the formula and then special paste it as a value. However, I end up
losing the formula when I do that, so I'm not able to get an updated result
without always re-doing the formula.

Does anyone have any advice, or is this just an Excel 2003 glitch??

Sheeloo[_3_]

How do I display a formula result without losing the formula?

Suppose you have the following formula in A1
=B1+C1 and B1=5, C1=1
you should see 6 in A1...

If you see
=B1+C1 then try to press CTRL-` once

` is on the top-left corner of the keyboard with ~ on the same key...

If the value does not change if you change B1 and/or C1 then press F9.

Also check the setting in Tools|Options|Calculation...

It should be automatic...

"mamajazz" wrote:

Often in Excel 2003, I'm unable to see the result (value) of a formula (ie.
countif, counta). The only way I've found to actually see the result is to
copy the formula and then special paste it as a value. However, I end up
losing the formula when I do that, so I'm not able to get an updated result
without always re-doing the formula.

Does anyone have any advice, or is this just an Excel 2003 glitch??

mamajazz

How do I display a formula result without losing the formula?

Thank you! We tried that yesterday and it didn't work. This morning, I
tried again and it worked! Strange...