-   -   Adding a column and recalculate formula automatically (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/208276-adding-column-recalculate-formula-automatically.html)

BACH

Adding a column and recalculate formula automatically

Is there anyway to have excel automatically add new column into a formula.
Example =B13-SUM(C13:M13) and I add in a new column it would be N13 my
formula is located in O13. Is there something to make excel automatically
pick this new cell up an add it to my formula?

Pete_UK

Adding a column and recalculate formula automatically

If you insert the new column within the range, eg a new column M, then
the formula will automatically adjust to include column N. Then use
copy/paste to copy the whole of column N back into column M and then
highlight column N and press the <delete key to empty all the cells -
do not use cut/paste.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 29, 8:15*pm, BACH wrote:
Is there anyway to have excel automatically add new column into a formula..
Example =B13-SUM(C13:M13) and I add in a new column it would be N13 my
formula is located in O13. Is there something to make excel automatically
pick this new cell up an add it to my formula?

TomPl

Adding a column and recalculate formula automatically

Put your formula in P13.
Change the formula to =B13-SUM(C13:O13)
Column O will remain blank.
Add new column before column O and the new column will automatically be
included in the formula.
You cannot hide column O because then you will not be able to add a column
before it.
Make Column O real narrow to separate the data from the formula and to
remind you to insert columns before it.

Tom

BACH

Adding a column and recalculate formula automatically

This creates a circular reference.

"TomPl" wrote:

Put your formula in P13.
Change the formula to =B13-SUM(C13:O13)
Column O will remain blank.
Add new column before column O and the new column will automatically be
included in the formula.
You cannot hide column O because then you will not be able to add a column
before it.
Make Column O real narrow to separate the data from the formula and to
remind you to insert columns before it.

Tom

Sean Timmons

Adding a column and recalculate formula automatically

did you put the formula in P13 and delete the formula from O?