-   -   Entering data into Excel from a check reader / scanner (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/208128-entering-data-into-excel-check-reader-scanner.html)

questor

Entering data into Excel from a check reader / scanner

Does anyone know if you can enter data ento Excel using a MICR from a check
reader / scanner? I'd like to be able to capture all MICR fields on a check
in separate cells, add a field for Check Amount to be keyed, and if possible,
capture a check image. Do USB connections work as easily with Check Readers
as they do, say, with bar code readers?

FSt1

Entering data into Excel from a check reader / scanner

hi
as i understand, excel does not have this as a built in feature. so that
would depend on your MICR(magnetic ink character reader????) device/software.
check your documentaiton of your MIRC reader to see is it can "export" to
excel.
USB...(universal serial bus)
i have heard that USB can handle 100 plus devices and not only handle the
data but supply power to the devices. i find that hard to believe but that is
suppose to be the spec.... see this site....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus
apple has a counterpart...fire wire....different connector but does the same
thing.
see IEEE1394 or this site....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire

regards