-   -   Filter for unique values in multiple columns (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/207604-filter-unique-values-multiple-columns.html)

sahafi

Filter for unique values in multiple columns

I have a data list on 10 columns. I'd like to fitler and remove the the
duplicates based on col A only. Advance filter will filter single col. How
can I keep unique codes on col A and remove all the duplicates codes in colA
along with the rest of the records on the other 9 colunms?

Thanks.
--
when u change the way u look @ things, the things u look at change.

Sheeloo[_3_]

Filter for unique values in multiple columns

Advance Filter does not work on a range
Select your range with headers
Choose Data|Filter|Advanced Filter
Select Unique Records
Click on Col A after clicking on Criteria Range...

"sahafi" wrote:

I have a data list on 10 columns. I'd like to fitler and remove the the
duplicates based on col A only. Advance filter will filter single col. How
can I keep unique codes on col A and remove all the duplicates codes in colA
along with the rest of the records on the other 9 colunms?

Thanks.
--
when u change the way u look @ things, the things u look at change.

Max

Filter for unique values in multiple columns

Try this sequence on a copy of your data sheet ..
Insert a new col B
Put in B2: =IF(COUNTIF(A$2:A2,A2)1,"x","")
Copy B2 down to the last row of data in col A. This flags duplicates as "x".
Kill the formulas in col B with an "in-place" copy n paste special as values.
Put a label into B1, apply autofilter on col B, choose: "x" from the dropdown
in B1. This gives you all the duplicate rows to be deleted. Select all the
filtered rows (select all the blue rowheaders), right-click Delete Row.
Done.
--
Max
Singapore
"sahafi" wrote:
I have a data list on 10 columns. I'd like to fitler and remove the the
duplicates based on col A only. Advance filter will filter single col. How
can I keep unique codes on col A and remove all the duplicates codes in colA
along with the rest of the records on the other 9 colunms?

sahafi

Filter for unique values in multiple columns

Thanks Max. Accomplished exactly what I needed.

Thanks.
--

"sahafi" wrote:
I have a data list on 10 columns. I'd like to fitler and remove the the
duplicates based on col A only. Advance filter will filter single col. How
can I keep unique codes on col A and remove all the duplicates codes in colA
along with the rest of the records on the other 9 colunms?

Sheeloo[_3_]

Filter for unique values in multiple columns

Sorry, I meant to say it 'DOES WORK on a range'

"sahafi" wrote:

I have a data list on 10 columns. I'd like to fitler and remove the the
duplicates based on col A only. Advance filter will filter single col. How
can I keep unique codes on col A and remove all the duplicates codes in colA
along with the rest of the records on the other 9 colunms?

Thanks.
--
when u change the way u look @ things, the things u look at change.

sahafi

Filter for unique values in multiple columns

Sheeloo,
I have tried your method, but it didn't work for me. I tried different
criteria... selected the entire col A as a criterion, then tried cell A2, A1,
but nothing worked.
So I used Max's way.

Thanks.
--

"sahafi" wrote:

I have a data list on 10 columns. I'd like to fitler and remove the the
duplicates based on col A only. Advance filter will filter single col. How
can I keep unique codes on col A and remove all the duplicates codes in colA
along with the rest of the records on the other 9 colunms?

Thanks.
--
when u change the way u look @ things, the things u look at change.

Max

Filter for unique values in multiple columns

Thanks Max. Accomplished exactly what I needed.

Welcome. Glad it did.