-   -   slow opening any file (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/207319-slow-opening-any-file.html)

dawall33

slow opening any file

When I double-click a file of any size, 200k to 10mb, from any drive
(desktop, c:, flash, or network) I have a delay of anywhere from 20 seconds
to 3 minutes for excel to open the sheet. It will open the program normally
and then sit and wait.

If I open excel first and then use either open or the recent documents list
to open the file it snaps open immediately.

I have had this problem on a previous PC with bother 2003 and 2007 at
various patch levels.

Bob I

slow opening any file

Actual version in question?

dawall33 wrote:

When I double-click a file of any size, 200k to 10mb, from any drive
(desktop, c:, flash, or network) I have a delay of anywhere from 20 seconds
to 3 minutes for excel to open the sheet. It will open the program normally
and then sit and wait.

If I open excel first and then use either open or the recent documents list
to open the file it snaps open immediately.

I have had this problem on a previous PC with bother 2003 and 2007 at
various patch levels.

dawall33

slow opening any file

I am running 2007 on xp.

"Bob I" wrote:

Actual version in question?

dawall33 wrote:

When I double-click a file of any size, 200k to 10mb, from any drive
(desktop, c:, flash, or network) I have a delay of anywhere from 20 seconds
to 3 minutes for excel to open the sheet. It will open the program normally
and then sit and wait.

If I open excel first and then use either open or the recent documents list
to open the file it snaps open immediately.

I have had this problem on a previous PC with bother 2003 and 2007 at
various patch levels.

Bob I

slow opening any file

Try enable one of the Excel Add-ins. For instance Solver. It works in
most cases here.

dawall33 wrote:

I am running 2007 on xp.

"Bob I" wrote:

Actual version in question?

dawall33 wrote:

When I double-click a file of any size, 200k to 10mb, from any drive
(desktop, c:, flash, or network) I have a delay of anywhere from 20 seconds
to 3 minutes for excel to open the sheet. It will open the program normally
and then sit and wait.

If I open excel first and then use either open or the recent documents list
to open the file it snaps open immediately.

I have had this problem on a previous PC with bother 2003 and 2007 at
various patch levels.

dawall33

slow opening any file

That worked. Is this another case of too much code with unknown consequences?

"Bob I" wrote:

Try enable one of the Excel Add-ins. For instance Solver. It works in
most cases here.

dawall33 wrote:

I am running 2007 on xp.

"Bob I" wrote:

Actual version in question?

dawall33 wrote:

When I double-click a file of any size, 200k to 10mb, from any drive
(desktop, c:, flash, or network) I have a delay of anywhere from 20 seconds
to 3 minutes for excel to open the sheet. It will open the program normally
and then sit and wait.

If I open excel first and then use either open or the recent documents list
to open the file it snaps open immediately.

I have had this problem on a previous PC with bother 2003 and 2007 at
various patch levels.

Bob I

slow opening any file

Grin, I don't know. I suspect there is a stub looking for something, and
if it doesn't find anything, it times out and comes back. So giving it
something to find, it comes back quick. Interestingly enough, once you
have "made it happy", you may uncheck the Add-in, and it continues work
properly. So it has to be some configuration routine is my guess.

"Bob I" wrote:

Try enable one of the Excel Add-ins. For instance Solver. It works in
most cases here.

dawall33 wrote:

I am running 2007 on xp.

"Bob I" wrote: